Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I Found Love In Guatemala

I've been home now from Guatemala for 3 days. I already miss it.
I missed my country music while I was in Guatemala. I missed my family. I missed hanging out with my friends. I missed diet drinks. I missed being alone and walking aimlessly thinking. I missed being able to drink out of the faucet (yes, some of us do that ). I missed listening to Christian music in English.
However, for all I missed, there were so many things that I miss about Guatemala now that I am home. I miss NOT having a TV. I miss not having a set schedule. I miss the easy way people connected. I miss the kids and their adoration and kisses. I miss not feeling like I had to look perfect or wear any make up every day. I miss singing out of tune to songs on the guitar and yet having more fun than if we did it perfectly. I miss shameless worship that wasn't about how well you sang, but was about who you were worshiping. I miss practicing dramas.I miss doing puzzles and coloring. I miss braiding girl's hair. I miss the deep appreciation that I saw everywhere for things that we take for granted or worse....complain about. I miss seeing people that don't even have a fraction of what I, myself, actually own, and yet they are truly happy. I miss winding roads and gorgeous views. I miss singing in Spanish. I miss seeing how love crosses any language barriers. I miss sitting in the backseat of the truck for an hour coming to and an hour going from our set destination and just talking about whatever. I miss deep thoughts and talking about the mundane. I miss being together with 16 other people around the table at dinner and hearing all the laughter and multiple conversations. I miss the inside jokes and the deep friendships that were made. I miss playing just to play. I miss the smiles of the children and the light that came into their eyes when you did something that surprised them. I miss the conversations in Spanish and English. I miss the little things and laughing hysterically over kazoos and totugas. I miss my chickitas. I miss having God parties and having the freedom to get excited over the little things that I saw do that really weren't so little.
Yes, there are a lot of things that I have a new appreciation for and miss so much. I will never forget Guatemala and Lord willing, I will return again soon. I am so grateful that God gave me the experiences He did. It was a Mission Trip that I will never forget.

I found love in Guatemala.

This sweet girl stole my heart. Every morning she would great me by running up and flinging her arms around my neck and laying her head on my chest. Every day before she left, she would give me at least one kiss.



This was the guy who was like a brother to me during our trip. He took the time to care.This is him attempting to braid my hair. He did pretty well, if I do say so myself :)

Team photo with the children. The rain wasn't the only form of water that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment