Thursday, August 7, 2014

Choosing to Worship

The definition of worship is as follows:

Worship
: to honor or respect (someone or something) as a god
: to show respect and love for God or for a god especially by praying, having religious services, etc.
 
Worship doesn't just happen, it is a choice. I thought about that a lot at summer camp this year with my youth group.
 
There are and have been many moments in my life where I wanted to do anything but lift my hands to God. There are many moments where it would be easier to let my mind wander during a song than sing it from the heart. There have been many moments where it would have been easier to throw up my hands in defeat than take it to the Lord in prayer. However, God is not some fair weather friend!
 
We serve a God who is worthy of worship in the good times as well as the bad. In the good times, I have to choose to worship Him and in the bad times, I have to choose to worship Him. Yep, there are most certainly days where I have to really make an effort to worship God and sometimes I can muster little more than the name of Jesus, but worship isn't about how extravagant you express your devotion, but in your sincerity and in whom you express it to.
 
One of my absolute favorite quotes in one of my favorite movies is about this....
 
"I want God to bless this team so much people will talk about what He did. But it means we gotta give Him our best in every area. And if we win, we praise Him. And if we lose, we praise Him. Either way we honor Him with our actions and our attitudes. So I'm askin' you... What are you living for? I resolve to give God everything I've got, then I'll leave the results up to Him. I want to know if you'll join me." -Facing The Giants 
 
In this quote the main character is asking his team to choose to worship God no matter what the outcome of something is. If we choose and strive to always sincerely worship God no matter what, He will bless us. 
Whether it is in loud shouts of praise to Him or the silent prayer; whether it is in the hands raised or being face down; whether it is in song or in the silence; choose to worship Him in all things!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment