Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Here I sit on Thanksgiving Eve. Turkeys have been bought, groceries have been put away with care, and menus are set. As is our tradition, we will be spending Thanksgiving Day itself with family friends and then on Saturday, we will have our own family feast.

Every year, we have a tradition where we go around and tell what we are thankful for before we eat. As I sit here, I am pondering just what I might say this year. This year has been full of many good and bad moments, as life often is. There have been lots of memories made and more than a few moments I wish I could forget. In it all, I have learned a lot.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says to: "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." My thankfulness is not limited to my circumstances.

Even the darkest moments, I didn't walk alone. Even the brightest moments were not without pain. The question then comes to mind: What am I NOT thankful for?

We live in a "Me" centered society; thankful for all we have on Thursday and spending all we have on Friday.....I don't want to live like that. I want to live thankful. Maybe it is cliché, but thankfulness is not just a day, but a way of life. It is more than a one day act, but a attitude everyday. An attitude of gratitude will get me much farther than an attitude of complaining. Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up for just one day!

So, as we go into Thanksgiving, my prayer would be that among all the family, food, and merriment, we would remember to give thanks for everything. Not just the good times; not just the fun times. But all times; good and bad.

From my family to yours: Happy Thanksgiving!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment