Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Life Changing Summer

We all have had experiences that are forever etched in our memory. Experiences that changed us, humbled us, and brought us face to face with our fears. This summer was packed with those kinds of experiences.
 
If you have been following me on social media, you know that I have been working for a Christian mission's camp called TEAMeffort. TEAMeffort works in rural areas with middle school and high school students from church youth groups all across the country to meet physical needs and then meet the spiritual needs of people in overlooked areas within the U.S. (primarily). I was located in Copperhill, Tennessee this summer and had the pleasure of having my own worksite. By the way, did I mention that TEAMeffort is mainly construction based?
 
That's right. The girl who didn't know the difference between a phillips head screwdriver and a flat head screwdriver at the beginning of the summer got to teach kids how to use a saw and put boards together to build a 12x18 shed with a lean-to on the back and also put a roof on a house.
 
What I learned construction wise is really not what changed my life. Over and over and over again, God showed up and showed off. That's what changed my life.
 
TEAMeffort's theme for this summer was "Pray As You Go." Let me tell you something, I prayed a lot this summer. Last summer when I worked at Boy Scout camp, I thought I was as far out of my comfort zone as I could get. This summer proved that theory wrong. 
 
Without God, I would not have made it through this summer.
 
He was my strength when I was so bone tired that I couldn't think straight.
 
He was my encouragement when everything around me went wrong.
 
He was my voice every Wednesday night when I got up on stage and talked about our identity in Christ and how loved we are by God.
 
He was my Creator who showed me the beauty of His creation day in and day out. 
 
He was my King who was worthy of worship every time we sang songs of praise and came together in prayer.
 
He was my Father who protected me countless times.
 
He was my friend who loved me with an everlasting love and held me accountable for my words, thoughts and actions.
 
I could spend a lot of time telling you what I did this summer, but that would be under false pretenses. Truth is, I didn't do this. God did this.
 
In the next few weeks, I hope to share some of what God did this summer and share some of the stories of how God changed me and those around me.


"For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God."
Romans 1:20 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment