Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Walking in Faith

This summer I will be working on staff at a Christian camp for youth. It is out of state and a camp that I never have personally attended. Where did I find this camp recommended, you ask? Google. What on earth compelled me to send in an application, much less take a job at a camp that Google recommended and that is out of state?

Well, three things.

First, my need for adventure. Yes, I do have a heart for adventure. I like getting out of my comfort zone. I like being stretched. I like challenges and growing. Am I comfortable with not knowing anyone? Not really. Am I comfortable with not even knowing where I am? No. But life is all about adventures. Some are in the day to day things and some are in the big, crazy, leaps of faith you take.

Last summer I took a really huge leap of faith and worked at a Boy Scout camp. I still can't believe I did that, let alone lived in a tent the whole time! It was hard. It was sometimes awkward. I was very rarely comfortable. But each day always proved to be an adventure. I had to choose to adjust my attitude a lot. I had to choose to not let people and things get to me. I had to choose to constantly trust God, moment by moment. I learned a lot. I grew a lot. I discovered a lot. It was an adventure!

This summer I am, yet again, going to a place where I may not fit in. I am going to do a job I am not very qualified for. You know what though? Wherever God leads is an adventure and He'll make up for whatever I lack.

Secondly, my need to invest in people. Life is an exciting process, made even more so by the places we choose to spend our time and the things and people we invest in. At Boy Scout camp, I taught merit badges and had fun. I had lots of conversations about why I was at camp. It was really great!

This summer, I get to combine my love for people and my love for God. Not only do I get to share a week with people, but I get to share the most important thing in my life very openly. That's Jesus. I get to get real with people and learn their stories. I get to work hard and learn and grow. The only way you can invest in people is to be willing to get out of your comfort zone.

Thirdly, my need to follow Christ. Could I have had plenty of adventures and invested in people right here in Richmond, Virginia? Yes. Could I have found a more comfortable place to work? Yes. Could I have done so many other things? Yes. Instead, I chose the hard way. I chose what would make me uncomfortable. I chose to take a crazy leap of faith.

Why? Because God called me to. When I browsed through Google and saw this camp, He laid it on my heart to pray about applying. I felt the call to go. I sent in an application not knowing if I would even be considered. No one was more shocked than I was when I was not only called for an interview, but accepted. God calls us to crazy things sometimes though. It may not make sense to others, but it is a part of God's perfect plan.
 
So, that is why I am going to a place I have never been, to do something I have never done, with people I have never met. My God goes with me and He is going to do things beyond what I could have ever fathomed! I can't see the whole road, but He can. I will choose to walk in faith. I can't wait to share what God does!
 
For we live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7


No comments:

Post a Comment