Sunday, January 8, 2017

Glorifying God and Seeking His Will

I know that it has been a very long time since I wrote anything. It hasn't been from lack of motivation but a lack of making writing a priority. Life is full of important things and blogging just hasn't been on the top of my list. On this snowy day though, I wanted to write.

Some of you may know that I accepted a job with the YMCA as an assistant preschool teacher back in October. All my life I have loved children. The thought of working with them for the rest of my life fills me with indescribable joy.

Many of you also know that I did a lot of going back and forth on what I wanted to do. That is why I took a gap year off from school to discover what I wanted to do. To put it bluntly: working with children does not pay a lot. In fact, many meaningful and very necessary jobs don't make much. I struggled with that because I want to make a living but I also want to make a difference.

God has given me a great love for people. Learning people's stories and meeting their needs, even if that just be in prayer, brings me great joy. I truly believe that people were created to love each other and glorify our Creator. That being said, I wanted to pursue God's will in how best to do that.

The older I get, the stronger my desire becomes to be in the will of God. I want to have a family. I want to go through life with a God fearing man. I want to have my own children and model Christ to them. I want to make money. Not because I am greedy but because everything costs money. I want to make a difference. Yes, I want all these things and more but more than anything, I want to be in the will of God.

His will has sent me crazy places in the past. I have spent the two past summers in jobs I was grossly under qualified for. I am currently in a job where I am under qualified and the youngest in my field by many years. Yet that is where God has definitely called me.

This summer I have made the difficult decision to remain home and work a camp job through the YMCA. As much as I love the Y, I still have an adventurous spirit that wants to go all over and see new and exciting things. And yet, I know this is where I need to be. I also know that where God calls us is never dull.

There is a quote by John Piper that says,
"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him."

I want my job to glorify God. I want my relationships to glorify God. I want my words and interactions with others to glorify God. I want my hopes and dreams to glorify God. I want everything within me to pursue God's glory being made known.

Why? Because He alone is worthy of all glory.

It is scary. It is exciting. It is hard. It is an adventure.

May I be like a Mary, a David, a Ruth and a Paul.

May I seek the Lord's face and lean on His strength.

May I love as He loved, not to point to me but to glorify the One who made me.

In Whose hands am I safer or more at peace? In Whose hands can I be more satisfied?
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment