Monday, August 3, 2015

Lessons From Boy Scout Camp

6.5 weeks of lessons learned, skills developed, and patience tested. Late nights, long days, lots of laughter, sweat, and, at times, frustrated tears.

Boy Scout camp counselor. That was the title I held the bulk of my summer. I was one of five female staffers in a sea of about fifty staff total.

It was a summer of "firsts"....

First time being a paid camp counselor.

First time living in a tent for more than two days at a time.

First time being away from home for more than a week at a time by myself.

First visit to Patient First.

First time being in a rowboat....at 6 A.M. no less!

First time staying up until 3 A.M. talking about life with my fellow staffers.

Yes, I had lots of "firsts."

I had lots of learning experiences too....

Discovering how different people communicate and learning how to best communicate with them.

Dealing with people who didn't think I should be at camp, much less be teaching.

Learning how I say something and when I say it, is just as important as what I say.

Learning how to live in a family of guys.

Learning how to teach skills that I barely know myself.

Learning how to ask for help.

Learning how to love different people where they were.

Learning how to laugh at myself.

The list could go on and on!

I would say the one thing that stood out to me the most this summer is that going the extra mile makes a difference, especially when done in the spirit of the Scout Oath and Law.

To do your best in a cheerful and organized manner, even when you feel tired, sweaty, and have very little idea what you are doing, goes a long way in setting an example for the Scouts and staff around you.

If the boys see you having fun, they will be more willing to jump into tasks and learn new skills. There will always be tedious tasks to do at camp, but a song or a word of encouragement can definitely help lighten the mood.

If the boys see you making the effort, they are more willing to be receptive to what you have to say. Actually learn the names of the boys you are around and something about them. There is something special about being at a camp of 300 boys and knowing that someone took the time to try to learn your name.

Lastly, if the boys see you make mistakes and try again, they are more likely to keep trying until they get it right. Everyone makes mistakes, but the failing does not come in the falling down, but in the staying down. So you had a rough day? It's okay. Tomorrow is a new day and the sun will rise. The boys will watch to see what your reaction to a situation is and likely follow suit.

Being on camp staff was 6.5 weeks of unforgettable lessons and memories, that's for sure. There was never a dull moment and every moment was worth anything I may have sacrificed over the summer. It was truly a summer of a lifetime!
 

We never fail when we try to do our duty, we always fail when we neglect to do it.
Lord Robert Baden-Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment